I suspect most women entering the last year of their twenties hear the same crazy stuff about turning 29 that I had to hear. It’s all down hill from here. I’ve never really felt content until I reached my thirties. You only have a few years left to have kids. You’re gonna need hip replacement. Okay, people didn’t tell me these things, but I did feel some uneasiness about getting one step closer to 30. The uncertainty. The fear. The vanity of being a 20-something. Then I had all these questions. What the heck I am doing? Why am I not where I said I would be in the journal I wrote in 6th grade?! 6th grade me would NEVER let this happen. What the fudge? I only have about 5-10 more years to get my ish together. While I’m not completely over all that now, I’ve kind of taken the attitude of “I’m too legit-it to quit it.” I don’t know what the future holds. I have plans, sure. Tons of plans. One thing I know for certain, I’m not leaving my 20s without accomplishing these 10 things.
- Stop saying sorry. Cutting you off because you’ve talked entirely too much? I will not say sorry. Canceling our plans for good reason? I’m not saying sorry, bruh. Eating the last slice of anything? Not sorry. Taking a selfie? Not sorry. Didn’t do my hair? Not sorry. Had a completely unproductive weekend on the couch watching Netflix, when I clearly had errands to run? Say it with me. Not sorry. Forcefully shoving your bad kid running wildly and unsupervised through HEB? Not, okay. Maybe I should apologize. These people get me.
- Start saying No. Wanna go spend $25 for brunch? Nope. Wanna go out? Nope. Wanna drive to my house? Nope. Wanna go halfsies on (insert expensive girls trip, alcohol I didn’t drink, pricey gifts)? Naw. Wanna comment on this article that will seriously mess with your spirit and make you hate the world? No. Just, no. Stole this from Espouse.
- Go north, in North America. Canada calling? See you in September?
- Increase my 401K contribution. For real, I want to retire. Retirement should not be a fantasy. Some elusive unicorn only filthy rich people get to see. Also, I guess I should put in more than 3%. I guess.
- Plan a Dirty 30. This really goes without saying.
- Get serious about my wardrobe. I still have lots of stuff I don’t wear anymore and new stuff I bought on a whim that needs to go. I need to get rid of it. I also need to invest in some key pieces. Some nice stuff. Go fund me?
- Get strategic about my career. I gotta map this thing out. Learn some new skills, talk to mentors, meet with my boss, and really figure out what the next few years look like.
- Renew my year with BigBrother BigSister. I love my little. I love being a Big. It’s one of the most rewarding, self-less, and eye-opening experiences of my life. Go ‘head and add another year.
- Complete this list. For real, I only have half a year left to complete THIS LIST.
- Blog about what I learned in my 20s by reliving each birthday in 5 words— this is for kicks. I mean really, what did I even learn in my 20s?
So, turning 29, what really matters? I don’t know, but in the end, I’m sure it’s not my age. I’m happy, healthy and able to make a difference in people’s lives. Cheesy, but true. What do you think? Are you turning 29? Are you younger or older?